Monday, August 31, 2015

What do you think would be three good items to use for this specific writing prompt?The writing prompt is: Imagine that your student council has...

I think this sort of essay, if it's going to be any good, will have to come from your own reflection on your values and on the time in which you live. What three physical things would you say most deserve inclusion in the time capsule? These items will be preserved for 20 years and, when revealed, will ideally cause people to reflect back on their own lives from that earlier period.


I'm just past the time when I would have had a 20th-year high school reunion, so let me think about what I might have liked to see in a time capsule. For one, I would have liked something that captured at least one of the humorous popular culture trends of the time, maybe a vinyl album of some (then hot, now forgotten) British new wave band with big hair. I also might have wanted to see something that captured an important political issue of the age, such as Ronald Reagan's so-called "Star Wars" plan for a missile defense shield (the Cold War hadn't yet ended, of course). Finally, I may have liked to see something of personal meaning to me but also of interest to others, such as a letter that I had written myself. I'm not sure about what, though. Maybe just educated guesses and jokes about who in my high school class would be doing what for a living some 20 years in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment