Saturday, June 8, 2013

Why does Europe deny that Muslims were behind the start of civilization in Europe and in all the west?

Shoot... I answered this before but I guess the computer ate my answer.


First, I completely agree with the second answer in that it emphasizes that European civilization started long before Islam arose.  For that reason, you can't say Muslims started European civilization.


Second, it is not clear to me that Europe (if there really is such a thing as all European opinion) denies that Muslims kept the learning of the Greeks and Romans alive during the Dark Ages.  Because they did this, Europeans were able to relearn what previous Europeans had known.


Third, I think one reason you wouldn't say Muslims are behind European civilization is the fact that European civilization and Muslim civilization (again, to the extent that these are monolithic things) have diverged so much in the years since the Muslims were expelled from Spain in 1492.  Therefore, European culture is so different now from most Islamic cultures that the connection is no longer very obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment