Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Macbeth's indecision and internal conflict are lucidly introduced by Shakespeare. Illustrate.William Shakespeare's "Macbeth"

In the opening act of "Macbeth," Macbeth's indecision and internal conflict are introduced in Scene 3 in which the elements suggest conflict as thunder roars over a heath in which Macbeth comments, "So foul and fair a day I have not seen" (i,iii,37).  Then, after he hears the prediction of the witches, Macbeth thinks,



...Present fears/Are less than horrible imaginings./My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical/Shakes so my single state of man that function/Is smothered in surmise, and nothing is/But what is not.../If chance will have me King, why, chance may crown me,/Without my stir. (I,iii,137-143)



Macbeth's conflicting thoughts continue through this act as he considers his appointment as Thane of Cawdor as a possible stepping stone:



...That is a step/On which I must fall down, or else o'erleap,/For in my way it lies.  Stars, hide your fires;/Let not light see my black and deep desires (I,iv,48-51)



But when he ponders the next "stepping stone," Macbeth is conflicted in his intent to kill Duncan:



If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well/It were done quickly.  If th' assassination/Could trammel up the consequence, and catch,/With his surcease, success;  that but this blow /Might be the be-all and the end-all--(I,vii,1-5)



The conflict between Macbeth's "vaulting ambition" and his conscience continues throughout the rest of Shakespeare's play as, in guilt, Macbeth sees Banquo's ghost, expressing further his internal conflict:



Had I but died an hour before this chance,/I had lived a blessed time; for from this instant/There's nothing serious in mortality:/All is but toys.  Renown and grace is dead,/The wine of life is drawn, and the mere lees/I s left this vault to brag of. (II,iii,97) 


No comments:

Post a Comment