Saturday, July 4, 2015

What would be one word to describe the Book, "Tale of Two Cities?

This is the only book by Charles Dickens (well, besides A Christmas Carol) that I love.  A Tale of Two Cities is an historical, romantic novel set during the time of the French Revolution.  Sydney Carton, a very crass and hateful man, falls in love with the beautiful Lucie.  Sadly, however, Lucie is in love with another man, Charles Darnay.  Unfortunately, Charles is accused of going against the Revolution and is condemned to death.  Sydney Carton's love of Lucie is so strong that he decides to take Darnay's place and die at the guillotine so that Lucie can spend a lifetime by her love's side.  Right before his death, Carton says, ""It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."   He dies knowing he sacrficed himself for the one he loves, and had therefore redeemed himself as a human being.  So, in one word, I would describe the novel as "romantic". 

No comments:

Post a Comment