Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What are some quotes that fall under the theme of Personal Trials in To Kill a Mockingbird?Please include where the quote is from. Quotes that...

    Many of the characters in Harper Lee's novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, undergo personal trials and tribulations during the story. Below are some examples with quotations.


1.  ATTICUS TAKES THE CASE.  Atticus knows the Tom Robinson case will be a threat to his family.



"What bothers me is that she and Jem will have to absorb some ugly things pretty soon.



2.  UNCLE JACK & CHILDREN.  Uncle Jack, the confirmed bachelor, may know how to doctor children, but he doesn't understand them.



    "I shall never marry, Atticus."
    "Why?"
    "I might have children."
    Atticus said, "You have a lot to learn, Jack."



3.  JEM & MRS. DUBOSE.  Jem has a true love/hate relationship with old Mrs. Dubose. When she leaves him a gift just before she dies, he doesn't know how to feel.



"Old hell-devil, old hell-devil!" he screamed, flinging it down. "Why can't she leave me alone?"



4.  TO FIGHT OR NOT TO FIGHT.  After Cecil Jacobs defamed Atticus, Scout had a decision to make.



My fists were clenched and I was ready to let fly. Atticus had promised me he would wear me out if he ever heard of me fighting any more; I was far too old and too big for such childish things, and the sooner I learned to hold it in, the better off everybody would be. I soon forgot.



5.  HUMOR IS BETTER THAN VIOLENCE.  Most people could not resist fighting back if Bob Ewell had spit tobacco in their face. But Atticus is not like most people.



"Too proud to fight, you nigger-lovin' bastard?" Miss Stephanie said Atticus said, "No, too old," put his hands in his pockets and strolled on. Miss Stephanie said you had to hand it to Atticus Finch, he could be right dry sometimes.
    "I wish Bob Ewell wouldn't chew tobacco," was all Atticus said about it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment