Tuesday, May 15, 2012

In The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, where does Daisy discuss her feelings after giving birth?

Daisy's comment about her little girl appears near the end of Chapter 1.  She tells Nick,



" 'Well, she [Daisy's baby] was less than an hour old and Tom was God knows where. I woke up out of the ether with an utterly abandoned feeling, and asked the nurse right away if it was a boy or a girl. She told me it was a girl, and so I turned my head away and wept. ‘all right,’ I said, ‘I’m glad it’s a girl. And I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.'"



This comment is another part of the awkward conversation between Nick and his cousin during the Buchanans' dinner party in Chapter 1.  Nick had brought up the subject of Daisy's little girl to try to get Daisy's mind (and the conversation) off of Tom's mistress who was calling.


Daisy's feelings about the birth of her little girl also foreshadow her affair with Gatsby.  Not only does she reveal in her quote, that Tom's cheating is nothing new to her, but she also relays her loneliness and need for someone to idolize her.

No comments:

Post a Comment