Sunday, November 23, 2014

How does Pearl occupy herself while Hester speaks with Dimmesdale?

When I first read the previous poster's comment, I was relunctant to agree. To be honest, I often don't find moralizing in novels all that appealing, and as a reader I suppose I try to see their secret love affair not as a sin in itself but rather as something that is punished by society as a sin. While I think that I don't have to abandon my perspective entirely, I also have to agree with the previous poster's comments.


Here are some details that reinforce the contrast between good and bad, Pearl and the adults, etc. Pearl can chase after and catch the rays of light, but they move away when Hester approaches. Similarly, at one point in his discussion with Hester, Arthur perceives the brook as some sort of division between worlds, separating Hester and him (who are on one side) from Pearl (who is on the other side).

No comments:

Post a Comment