Sunday, November 23, 2014

Who is the narrator of "A Christmas Memory?"

In Truman Capote's novella, "A Christmas Memory," the narrator is seven year-old Buddy.  Buddy is living with relatives and this is a memoir of his time while there.  He tells us about his elderly cousin and there adventures while preparing for Christmas.  The story is told in the first person and Buddy shares his feelings and his love for his Cousin.  This story is humorous, sad and emotional.  It often brings me to tears when I share it with my students.  Buddy is a wonderful character and, according to Capote is loosely based on his own childhood.



"Throughout "A Christmas Memory" the narrator refers to himself only in the first person (I, me, myself), but his friend calls him Buddy "in memory of a boy who was formerly her best friend" and who had died when she was a child."


No comments:

Post a Comment