Saturday, November 21, 2015

Life in the New DemocracyIt is one thing to create a country based on certain principles, say that men have an inalienable right to life, liberty,...

I'm not sure what you're asking here.  Do you have a question?


My response to what you're saying is this: even though the early United States didn't come close to living up to the words of Declaration of Independence (and arguably doesn't do it perfectly now), those words and ideas have been a strong impetus that pushes and inspires Americans to try to perfect their society.


Let me be clear, I'm not a blind cheerleader for the US.  I teach history and US government, among other things, and know that we're imperfect.  I'm of mixed racial origin and am fully aware that the US hasn't always lived up to "all men are created equal."


However, we have been slowly but surely moving towards the ideals of the Declaration.  America today is closer to those ideals than it was when my parents were born.

No comments:

Post a Comment