Tuesday, October 18, 2011

In Book 2, Chapter 2 of 1984, instead of being jealous of other men that the girl has been with, Winston is pleased. Why?

The hide-out where Winston and Julia meet is full of imagery:


  • color imagery: "light and shade," "pools of gold"

  • natural imagery: "bluebells," "ring doves"

  • spy imagery: "mike hidden," "patrols."

Orwell creates a Garden of Eden here: the place where there is no darkness.  It's alive and carnal.  Who's watching?  God?  Big Brother?  Were they followed?  Winston, 39, is acting like a teenager cutting school.  His paranoia is palpable.


Winston and Julia's conversation:



"Listen. The more men you've had, the more I love you. Do you understand that?"  'Well then, I ought to suit you, dear. I'm corrupt to the bones.'  'You like doing this? I don't mean simply me: I mean the thing in itself?'  'I adore it.'



Winston has been so sexually repressed for so long that he finds it wildly refreshing that Julia could feel such eroticism.  Why hadn't the Party drained her too of all sexual impulse?  Why hadn't she been programmed (or deprogrammed) by the Youth Sex League to abhor sex and channel all her physical desire for the Party?


Sex is rebellion, and Winston makes no jealous complaints: it turns him on.

No comments:

Post a Comment