Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Analyze the cultural and economic responses of the French and Spanish to the Indians of North America before 1750.this is an essay topic for my...

Okay... you've gotten a lot in there, but I have a couple of points for you.


1.  If you're only supposed to be going up to 1750, don't put the French and Indian War in there as it happens after 1750.


More importantly:


2. I'd encourage you to think about the amount of interbreeding/intermarriage that went on between the Europeans and the Native Americans.  This is very much in contrast to the British colonies.


3.  This goes along with the idea of the fur trade, but you might want to think systematically about the place of the Indians in the two economies -- with the French doing mostly trading with the Indians whereas the Spanish did encomiendas and such.


4.  Might want to think about (I might even structure my essay around this) *why* the French and Spanish had different cultural and economic responses to the Indians.  I'd be thinking about the number of people they each sent to the colonies and the overall goals of the respective colonies.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment