Monday, July 1, 2013

Why is animal testing important?I need this for my speech class.

As a medical doctor and scientist, I have been aware of many animal experiments.  Indeed, I have participated myself (under licence) in many experimental protocols.  But i am starting to change my mind.


Animal testing is important because it will show us if new drugs might kill people rather than cure them.  I understand the arguments here, and they are far too complicated to go into in this answer.  I will just tell you my thoughts.


I love animals, I always did, which is why i did Zoology as a degree.  I have seen them horribly abused in the name of "science".  And I have yet to see evidence of the benefits of those experiments.  I abhor those experiments that sacrificed animals to test cosmetics and cigarette smoke (the latter of which I have witnessed first hand).


But there is a point here.  Is a mouse worth more than a human being?  We kill them with traps, we allow our pet cats to kill them.  We would never consider letting our pet cat (a tiger) kill a human.  Anyway, if the death of a mouse can save one human being, I would not stand in front of the mother of that child and say that the life of a mouse was more important than that of her daughter.


I also believe there are new technologies that allow experimentation without animals.  We should be focussing all our energies there.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment