Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I have a few questions that I need answered, as I have an English assignment on "Macbeth" due soon. I am hoping someone can answer them.. 1) How...

In act1 sc.4 Duncan regards Macbeth first by welcoming him as 'O worthiest cousin'. He then shows his gratitude by saying that Macbeth far exceeds any compensation the king can offer him. Duncan goes further on to welcome Macbeth with these words:


"                                    Welcome hither :


I have begun to plant thee, and will labour


To make thee full of growing"


Duncan announces that his eldest son, Malcolm, would be the Prince of Cumberland and the legitimate heir to the throne. This is significant because now Macbeth's chance of being elected as the future king of Scotland is ruled out. Now Macbeth has to adopt the other means to achieve his ambition:


[Aside] "   The Prince of Cumberland! that is a step


On which I must fall down, or else o'erleap..".


As regards your question on Macbeth's soliloquy, let me know which soliloquy you refer to. Is it the soliloquy with which act1 sc.7 begins?

No comments:

Post a Comment