Friday, December 12, 2014

What was the Saint of the Pyre trying to communicate to Equality in Anthem?

Quite simply, in the book, Anthem, written by Ayn Rand, the Saint of the Pyre is trying to communicate the banned word "I."  Of course, uttering the word "I" is punishable by imminent death in the book, so the Saint of the Pyre has to convey the word "I" in another way.


The way the Saint of the Pyre chooses to explain the word "I" to Equality is by explaining the concept of individuality (as banned a concept as the actual word).  Just think of the irony of that statement:  explain individuality to a character named Equality! 



Here is a quotation that gets right to the point:



I am done with the monster of "We," the word of serfdom, of plunder, of misery, falsehood and shame.

And now I see the face of god, and I raise this god over the earth, this god whom men have sought since men came into being, this god who will grant them joy and peace and pride.

This god, this one word:

"I.”



Here we can see that we is, in fact, a "monster."  It is a monster that takes all individuality away.  We can see this in the description that follows of all negative attributes (even "shame").  How interesting to describe the "face of god" as the word "I."  This idea is then followed (to juxtapose the first) by listing many positive attributes the "god" of "I" will "grant" such as happiness and peacefulness and even pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment