Friday, July 22, 2011

Wife vs. Husband or Parent vs. Child ? Im confused lol. is the conflict in this poem between a a couple(wife/husband) or between a parent and a...

I'd not heard of this poem before it appeared on the forum yesterday. At first I also thought it was about a husband/wife (or adult couple), but the more I looked at it, the more I thought it was about a parent/child struggle.


In section I, I read a parent's frustration about a child (perhaps a teen) who acts like she is listening, but is actually tuning out the parent.


Section II alerts the reader to the rage that the parent feels toward the child. It sounds like the rage is unexpressed, although the parent is surprised that the child hasn't detected the feelings, strong as they are.


In Section III, it seems that the child does realize that there is a problem. It frightens her, rendering her unable to sleep, and she comes to the parent for reassurance. The parent's rage subsides as they make physical contact.


I don't know if there is a "right" answer in this case. I could argue either way. But to me the flow of the characters indicates that it's most likely between parent/child.

No comments:

Post a Comment