Saturday, May 18, 2013

What did Candy from Of Mice and Men represent?

Candy represents the situation that many of the men who were labourers during the Depression found themselves in: that their futures are as bleak as their past and their present.




 You seen what they done to my dog tonight? They says he wasn't no good to himself nor nobody else. When they can me here I wisht somebody'd shoot me. But they won't do nothing like that. I won't have no place to go, an' I can't get no more jobs.




Also, Candy’s love for his dog, and his fierce defence of it is reflected in George’s loyalty to Lennie. The shooting of Candy’s dog by Carlson foreshadows George’s shooting of Lennie, and in fact Candy’s response after the shooting of the dog may well have influenced George’s decision to kill Lennie himself rather than let the lynch mob have him or him be locked away.




I ought to of shot that dog myself, George. I shouldn't ought to of let no stranger shoot my dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment