Wednesday, August 21, 2013

In the poem, "I am Joaquin/ Yo soy Joaquin", what makes the speaker an epic hero? Who is the hero?

There's a bit of controversy on this one, especially because many critics claim that Gonzales was just an angry Chicano mixing his own political preferences in a somewhat poetic way. Yet, the reality is that what makes the character of Joaquin into an epic here is that he places himself as if in the middle of a battle. His one-man battle is against major monsters: Society, identity, history, culture, circumstances. He also uses the terms "victor/vanquished" and the reference to himself using the powerful phrase "I am" has the characteristic of self-portrayed her.


He would then be deemed an epic hero due to the nature of his personal battle, and how small he feels in comparison to the world around him. Yet, the mere fact that he is willing to take on the fight makes him a hero.


I am the masses of my people and
I refuse to be absorbed.
I am JoaquĆ­n.
The odds are great
but my spirit is strong,
my faith unbreakable,
my blood is pure.
I am Aztec prince and Christian Christ.
I SHALL ENDURE!
I WILL ENDURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment