Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Is the line "The more things remain the same, the more they change after all," similar to "The Child is the Father of the Man"?"The Child is the...

The two lines share the quality of being apparent contradictions.  In literary terms, they are paradoxes, statements that appear self-contradictory, but that reveal a kind of truth.  Many writers like to use paradox because it allows them to express the complexity of life by demonstrating how opposing ideas can be both contradictory and true.



My heart leaps up when I behold


A rainbow in the sky:


So was it when my life began


So is it now I am a man;


So be it when I shall grow old,


Or let me die!


The Child is father of the Man;


And I could wish my days to be


Bound each to each by natural piety.



In this poem, Wordsworth uses his paradox to denote that  the childish wonder can give birth to this same wonder in the man.  As he looks at the sky, the poet retains his childish wonder and awe of Nature's beauty and "piety."

No comments:

Post a Comment