Thursday, January 6, 2011

Please Help ! Homeless Bird Quote From Koly !Hello,I am a teacher also & was wondering if you knew a good quote by Koly from the book Homeless Bird...

The opening quote of the book does a great job of articulating Koly's predicament.  In its examination, there is much of meaning:



There were days when my ma took only a bit of rice for herself so that the rest of us--my bapp, my brothers, and I--might have more. 'It's one of my days to fast,' she would say, as if it were a holy thing, but I knew it was because there was not enough to go around. The day I left home, there would be a little more for everyone else.



The implication of such a quote shows much about Koly.  The first is that she is committed to her family's well being and understands how this plays a profound impact on her own life and sense of self.  Essentially, she understands that the crowded conditions of her home help prompt her marriage.  Additionally, the idea of her leaving home as helping others enables her to have to endure the difficulties of marriage as something that is part of her condition as a daughter, so that her departure would mean "a little more for everyone else." Finally, the opening quote does a nice job of presenting marriage as something that girls are forced to embrace as a condition of their existence.  In assembling a scrapbook along these lines, perhaps rice would be an object that could represent the subsistence and nourishment Koly hopes to provide her family through her absence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment