Thursday, July 24, 2014

Would you have voted for Andrew Jackson in 1828?The Campaign of 1828 was unlike other that had come before it. For the first time electors in most...

Well, I personally wouldn't have been allowed to vote for him because I probably wouldn't have been considered white back then (I'm half white half Asian, they wouldn't have known what to do with me...)


I don't really like Jackson that much because I think he was at least borderline racist with his attitudes about slavery and Indians, but they were pretty much all like that back then.


So I'll pretend I'm a white man of the time, about the same kind of social/economic class that I am now.


Give the choice, I would likely have voted for Jackson over Adams.  First of all, Jackson was from much more of common stock (Scots-Irish, backcountry, not very educated) than Adams, who was a Boston aristocratic type.


Second, I probably would have still been annoyed because of the "Corrupt Bargain" that (I would have felt) had gotten Adams elected four years ago.


Finally, I might have felt some admiration for Jackson because of his conduct in the War of 1812, specifically at the Battle of New Orleans.


I hope that helps...

No comments:

Post a Comment