Friday, February 25, 2011

How do you translate the 9th stanza of The Raven?I need this by tommorrow

As this is English, it does not need to be translated, but I will reword the 9th stanza to you.



Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as `Nevermore.'



"I was very amazed that the strange bird could seem to understand me so well. I had just asked it what its name was, and it had answered me "Nevermore." Although, come to think of it, that doesn't really sound like a name. And, furthermore, I don't know anyone who ever had a bird enter his room, sit upon a sculpture bust, then talk and say that its name was "Nevermore." I mean that really is strange."

No comments:

Post a Comment