Thursday, January 29, 2015

What are five major supporting points/examples Jared Diamond's uses to support his thesis on the book Guns, Germs, and Steel?HELP! I'm a 9th...

Okay, you're asking for quite a bit here.  What I'm going to do is give you a bit of help with his thesis first of all:


His thesis is that Europeans came to be more powerful than other people because they were lucky in terms of their geography.  It was not because they were smarter or better than other people.


The major way in which they were lucky is that they could get agriculture sooner because they had better kinds of plants and animals available.  (This is the main point of Part 2 of the book)


Part Three shows the connection between getting agriculture sooner and having the guns, germs, and steel that allowed the Europeans to go conquering.


What I'd do if I were you is look in Parts 2 and 3 for examples that support the thesis.


I'm afraid I don't have space here to do more for you -- we're supposed to keep these around 90 words and I'm over....  The historycooperative link is a review that disagrees with Diamond.  Mcgoodwin is a summary of the book that might help you.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment