Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What are three personality traits of Ponyboy Curtis?

Ponyboy Curtis is incredibly intelligent, which runs really counter to the standard Greaser stereotype.  Ponyboy gets good grades in school, and his teachers recognize his natural talents in writing.  It's why Mr. Smye encourages Pony to write.  He recognizes Ponyboy's talent, and he understands that writing might be a form of catharsis for Pony as well.  



Anything you think is important enough to write about. And this isn't a reference theme; I want your own ideas and your own experiences."



Ponyboy is also a selfless individual.  He cares for other people.  He for sure cares for the other members of the Greaser gang, but he also shows a large concern for people that he doesn't even know.  Ponyboy knows that the church fire likely started because of his actions, and instead of running away to hide, Ponyboy rushes back into the church to save children he doesn't even know.  The act also shows a lot of bravery. 



"I'll get them, don't worry!" I started at a dead run for the church, and the man caught my arm. "I'll get them. You kids stay out!"



Ponyboy is also an empathetic character.  He is able to relate to a wide variety of emotions from a lot of different people.  The best example that I can think of regarding this personality trait is Pony's interactions with Cherry.  Pony is a Greaser and she is a Soc. Ponyboy really shouldn't give her the time of day let alone spend entire evenings conversing with her.  Yet, he does.  In addition to that, he is able to listen to what Cherry has to say and not toss it aside and play it off useless drivel from a Soc.  He understands that her problems are every bit as real and painful as his problems.  



"Things are rough all over."


"I believe you," I said. "We'd better get back out there with the popcorn or TwoBit'll think I ran off with his money."



And then later in the story, Pony's empathy even extends to Randy.  



"Thanks, grease," he said, trying to grin. Then he stopped. "I didn't mean that. I meant, thanks, kid."


"My name's Ponyboy," I said. "Nice talkin' to you, Randy."


I walked over to Two-Bit, and Randy honked for his friends to come and get into the car.


"What'd he want?" Two-Bit asked. "What'd Mr. Super-Soc have to say?"


"He ain't a Soc," I said, "he's just a guy. He just wanted to talk."


No comments:

Post a Comment