Sunday, May 25, 2014

What are some examples of asides in Julius Caesar?

In plays, an aside is spoken by an actor but not to the people he is talking to.  It's like the actor takes a break from a conversation to talk to the audience.  When he does this, the point is usually to fill the audience in on something that's going on or to tell them what he is thinking with regard to the conversation.


The first two asides in William Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" comes at the end of Act II, Scene 2 where the following conversations



CAESAR


Bid them prepare within:
I am to blame to be thus waited for.
Now, Cinna: now, Metellus: what, Trebonius!
I have an hour's talk in store for you;
Remember that you call on me to-day:
Be near me, that I may remember you.

TREBONIUS


Caesar, I will:

Aside


and so near will I be,
That your best friends shall wish I had been further.

CAESAR


Good friends, go in, and taste some wine with me;
And we, like friends, will straightway go together.

BRUTUS [Aside] That every like is not the same, O Caesar,
The heart of Brutus yearns to think upon!



In this case, both Trebonius and Brutus use asides to tell us what they are really thinking as they speak to Ceasar.


If you want more asides, follow the link below and then type "aside" in the find function on your browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment