Saturday, February 27, 2016

HOW TO SOLVE 3X= -5 THEN X= with all work shown plez,...

The first response is correct, but I thought I'd add a little bit about how I think about it just in case it's helpful.


Whenever I'm doing an algebra problem like this, where


x = something


the first thing I think about is "how can I separate x from the other numbers?" In this case in order to isolate "x" I have to figure out how to move the 3 to the other side.


Next to the x, 3 is a whole number or 3/1. But when I move it to the other side I have to change it. Like the original poster, I could call it 1/3 or I could say that it becomes the denominator (bottom number) of whatever whole number is already on that side. So it becomes:


1/3 of -5


or


1/3 x -5


or


-5/3


Sometimes I think about it in terms of "if I multiply the number on one side, then when I move it to the other side, I must divide." (inverse operation)  Or, "whatever I do to one side, I must do to the other."


For example, if you had 1/5x = 2, you would multiple both sides by 5 in order to isolate the x.


I hope that's helpful. That's how I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment